Thursday, June 25, 2009

This beautiful image came to me today by way of of GrannyMoon's Morning Feast. It honors the Goddess Luonatar. I like GrannyMoon's approach to "The teachings here are based on ordinary magick, the principle that the mundane and the Divine are not separate, but peacefully coexist in all things."

Finding the sacred in the ordinary gives life purpose. As I work my way through school, and make my living as a substance abuse counselor, I am reminded daily of how much I value the opportunity to answer my calling. Today will be a 17 hour day from the time I leave home, work, do therapy at the clinic and then attend my play therapy class this evening.

Exhausted does not begin to describe how I feel. Yet I thrive, because for the first time in my life I am doing the work I am called to do. While I have always tried to recognize the sacred in the mundane, it is much easier these days. I am so grateful for the opportunity to work in my field, to do therapy with my clients, to attend classes. I look forward to attended seminary as well.

I always think of therapy rooms as sacred space. Now my office at work is likewise sacred. As the wounded pour in, I am reminded again and again that miracles happen through simple kindnesses and gentle words. Perhaps my work as managing a restaurant, or as a technical writer was likewise sacred, but it certainly was not my calling. My world has become joyful.

Ironic, when it can also be incredibly challenging. Yesterday a co-therapist who was seeing the children of my client had to report her to DSS. My client is angry and feels betrayed because my co-therapist did not talk to her before the call was made. Today a client returned to the clinic for the forth time, in the worst shape I have ever seen her. DSS has already taken her children. Yet my words have the power to comfort, to inform, to direct. My words can be channeled from the goddess to her children when I get out of the way. What an amazing thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment