Saturday, September 12, 2009

In Memory of Bubbles



Today we grieve. Bubbles, beloved furbaby, kitten of Bridget and Baulder, died early this morning. She was found curled up in neighbor's driveway, as if she had fallen asleep and simply stepped out of her body. She was 9 years old.
Bubbles had one litter of kittens and developed complications. She was not spayed, but never had another heat. She loved being out of doors, only sleeping in at night when we could convince her to do so. She was vocal, loving, and always greeted us when the car pulled into the driveway.
She adopted me by shear force of will. When I would go to Luna and Cameron's home for a visit, years ago while living in Atlanta, she would greet me at the door and stay in my lap until I left. Eventually, I gave in and took her home with me. Later, when I bought my trailer, after having lived at Luna and Cameron's for six months, she stayed with me but insisted on going outside. She soon learned to convince the neighborhood she would starve if not fed. She was a car slut, hopping into any car door open. Cameron frequently had to stop her from going home with anyone else. I made sure she was tagged just to keep anyone else from adopting her!

Cameron often leaves her car window down, and Bubbles loved sleeping in the car. The only thing she appreciated more was finding an unopened bag of cat food. Often Cameron would go to get the cat food, only to find one corner torn open from Bubbles having had a snack.

Blessed child of Bastet, you will be missed. We love you, baby girl.

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry. I can only say that I am glad she did not suffer. She was a wonderful and sweet child, and though I only met her a few times, I enjoyed each meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I held Bubbles in my hands when she was only a few minutes old, and one of the joys of my life was being reunited with her when I moved in with Dreamweaver. Bubbles was utterly clueless about cars and traffic, and came very near several time over the years to ending her life under the wheels of a moving car or truck. For her to fall asleep in the sun, and then get up to mosey on her way, leaving her body behind is a blessing, as sad as it was to lose her. I am going to miss her so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny catnip story about Bubbles. She *loved* cat nip. She was a nip head. So we planted some catnip last year. She went over and loved all over the plant, rolling and having fun with it. Drunk, she stumbled up to Cameron's cat Ibn, who is the equivelant of a Baptist preacher. You could see the thought bubble: "What have you done?!" He stomped over and purposefully trampled the catnip. Later, I replanted it. Repeat above. He was not going to allow it to be grown and he does not imbibe!

    ReplyDelete