Saturday, October 26, 2019

I am a humble servant of the Lady Bastet


Phaedra is the newest member of the household. She threw our home into quite the tizzy this morning. But let me start at the beginning...

I meant to drop some money off to a friend last night night. I have been making payments on my Honda for years. Things have improved lately, and I wanted to make an extra payment. So I took the payment to my friend's home this morning on the way to work. A FedEx truck was blocking the road a couple of houses before my friend's home. It took a minute for my tired brain to register the site of a tiny kitten in the road. I watched as the driver got out and moved her to the side of the road. We have over 20 rescues and don't need another. Sigh. I resolved to check on her in five minutes when I left  the neighborhood.

I dropped off the envelope and turned the car around. The result is obvious. Two neighbors from two different houses had appeared and were staring at the alien ball of fur. I debated. They were not approaching it....let alone picking it up.

So I stopped. "We don't know what to do with it."

I responded with take it to a vet. Blank stares. I tried again. "Tractor supply has cheap antibiotics. The eyes need Neosporin." They stare at me like I have three heads. Deep sigh. "I'll take her". My partner's gonna kill me. We agreed. No more cats.

I scooped her up. She was fine till we got to the car. Then I got the first bite. I didn't let go. I got her in a box with two more bites. I folded the lid. Took her home. Woke Cameron. "I've been very naughty....her name is Phaedra."

1 comment:

  1. I'll admit my first reaction was, "Nooooooo! Not another cat! Kitten! Whatever. And then I saw her.
    Yeah.
    I melted; who could say no to that face, snot encrusted though it was!?
    I,too, welcome our newest member of our family! She's adorable!
    ❤️

    ReplyDelete